Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
Pharmacology is the branch of science concerned with the study of how drugs interact with cells, tissues, and organisms. Pharmacology has the potential to treat or prevent disease and to discover and distribute new therapies to help people lead longer and healthier lives. This exciting, new three-year course aims to produce graduate pharmacologists with an understanding of the impact of drugs on the human body as well as the drug discovery and the development process. The pharmaceutical industry in Ireland is thriving and is dependent on skilled graduates. This course is designed to meet those requirements.
What will I experience?
This is a suitable course for students interested in a career in the pharmaceutical industry. You will study modules which will cover following topics:
- Drug use in health and disease
- Drug-receptor theory
- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
- Drug effects on physiological and pathophysiological processes
- Toxicological principles and their application in safety pharmacology
- Principles of translational research and experimental medicine
- Drugs as tools in pharmacology research
- Reduction, refinement and replacement (3Rs) regarding the use of animals in research
- Clinical trials design principles
- Course Duration:
- CAO Course Code:
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- New Course
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Science
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Leaving Certificate: Grade H5 in two higher-level subjects, Grade 05 in Mathematics at ordinary level, plus three subjects at Grade O6 at ordinary level. Subjects to include a language (English or Irish).