Bachelor of Engineering Music and Sound Engineering
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
Have you thought about a career in the music industry? Athlone Institute of Technology exclusively offers an industry focused program that features Sound Engineering, Instrument Technology, Imaging and Professional Development to create the unique Bachelor of Science in Music and Sound Engineering, Level 7 (MASE).
As a MASE student, you will be involved in a wide range of industry specific assignments and practical work which encompasses all aspects of sound engineering, instrument craft & design and other creative studies that are all necessities for the creative industry. This diversity aims to give graduates of the course a range of skills and the flexibility required to work within a highly competitive & creative industry, and on completion of the course, you will have assembled an impressive portfolio of industry related work to take forward into your career.
Being a musician is not a course pre-requisite, so MASE is suitable for all candidates. There are diverse creative modules on offer that cover everything from sound engineering to radio broadcast production and sound for film & television and video & animation development, to work placement and communications modules that unlock the core principles required to craft your own successful career.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
• Work with industry standard software, computing and studio & live audio equipment in a variety of dynamic practical assignments.
• Collaborate with marketing, design and animation students as well as sourcing and working with original musical acts and cover groups.
• Manufacture a cajon drum, mandolin, electric guitar and an acoustic guitar from raw materials at the wood workshop
• Get to grips with the core professional development concepts required to work in the private or public sector.
What opportunities might it lead to?
Working within a creative and very competitive industry such as music and sound engineering requires graduates to have a very driven attitude and to most likely have a blended income portfolio i.e. to have a number of different revenue streams from different work within the industry. It is not an industry that seeks out qualified individuals, rather it is the individual that must seek the opportunity out. It is the drive and determination to identify and take these opportunities that the MASE course aims to instil in all graduates.
On completion of the course, you will have experienced the required practical and theoretical knowledge to be able to apply yourself to the positions below:
• Recording Studio Assistant Sound Engineer • Assistant Live Sound Engineer • Assistant Broadcast Sound Engineer for Radio & TV • Foley Artist • Audio Visual Technician • Video Game Audio Technician • Multi-Media Sound Designer • Instrument Building & Maintenance Technician • Music Entrepreneur • Assistant Acoustician • Event Coordinator
- Course Duration:
- 3 Year
- CAO Course Code:
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 7
- Dept of Mechanical, Polymer Engineering & Design
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate examination. Two of these subjects must be mathematics and a language (English or Irish).