Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical Engineering with Energy
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
The Faculty of Engineering & Informatics at TUS Midlands has a long tradition in delivering mechanical engineering courses that meet the ever changing needs of modern industry. Our close relationship with industry ensures that our programmes have a very practical and applied focus that will give you hands-on experience of the areas that is most relevant to today’s industries. TUS’s state-of-the-art Engineering and Informatics Building is recognised internationally as housing a wide array of the latest equipment and technologies used in industry.
The Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering and Renewable Energy was born out of our close ties with industry, where a requirement for engineering graduates with both core mechanical engineering skills and competencies coupled with knowledge and practical skills in the area of renewable energy emerged. The Faculty of Engineering & Informatics developed this unique programme to satisfy this new industrial necessity. The course is constantly reviewed by the faculty and industry to ensure its relevance, and the programme is fully accredited at Associate level by Engineers Ireland, ensuring that you as a graduate can be confident the skills and knowledge you gain will be internationally recognised.
What will I experience?
- Engineering education at TUS is very practical. Almost 50% of your time will be spent in state-of-the-art laboratories developing your practical engineering skills, and the other 50% will be spend on engineering theory and its application.
- You will develop your problem solving skills and reasoning techniques.
- You will work on topic specific problems both as part of a team and as an individual, and develop your lifelong learning skills.
- You will develop your ability to effectively communicate within the engineering community and society at large.
- You will develop an ethical awareness with regard to the engineering profession and environment.
- You will learn about the environmental loading of a given process/plant and be committed to its reduction, either in terms of the product, the materials or the process.
- Upon completion of the programme you will have developed an ability to critically appraise mechanical engineering systems, to identify areas of potential improvement, to bring about corrective action and where applicable, to suggest and implement an alternative solution.
What opportunities might it lead to?
As a holder of this qualification, you will possess the necessary practical and theoretical underpinning to enable progression to the BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (Level 8) at TUS.
As a graduate from this degree, you would be in a position to apply for a variety of careers including: associate engineer, energy management, utilities engineering/management, renewable energy technologist, production technologist, technical supervision, plant maintenance, quality assurance and production planning, or as a CAD operator.
You will also have attained the necessary skills and abilities to start your own business within the mechanical engineering and renewable energies domain.
- Course Duration:
- 3 Year
- CAO Course Code:
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 7
- Dept of Mechanical, Polymer Engineering & Design
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade 06 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate examination. Two of these subjects must be Mathematics and a language (English or Irish).
QQI: Any QQI level 5 qualification is acceptable. Applicants to this programme are required, however, to have one specified mathematics module included in their award either module mathematics (5N1833) or Maths for IT (5N18396) or Maths for STEM (5N0556) or alternatively have Leaving Certificate mathematics.
Careers & Opportunities
As a holder of tis qualification, you will possess the necessary practical and theoretical underpinnings to enable progression to the BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (level 8).