Higher Diploma Leadership (Springboard)
Why take this course?
The course is designed to help new and existing managers (as well as those aspiring towards a management position) to develop insights and competence required to influence and empower individuals, teams and organisations. The Level 8 Higher Diploma is a professional qualification with a syllabus that comprehensively covers key aspects of the manager/leader role.
A varied syllabus, developed in consultation with industry partners, examines leadership from a number of different perspectives. Students are challenged throughout the programme to apply their learning to their own unique work contexts.
Through participation in the TUS online learning platform students will be immersed in a community of learning with fellow professionals and managers. This helps to deepen learning as participants empathise with, analyse and problem-solve leadership challenges together.
What will I experience?
- In-Depth Leadership Development:focussed on the diverse range of competencies central to leadership - strategy development and enactment, task planning, developing others, relationship building and leading change.
- Real World Application: Challenging reflective assignments that require you to use your learning in practice
- Peer Learning and Networking: Learning within a community of managers and professionals - collaborating together to learn
- Industry and Academic Experience: A team of lecturers with experience in academia and industry: A team of Management Consultants, Work and Organisational Psychologists, Coaches and Career Development Experts deliver modules in this programme.
- Flexible Delivery: Delivered online primarily, with four face to face Saturday sessions during the academic year.
- Live Online Sessions and Self Directed Learning: Live online evening classes are facilitated on weeknights; learners will also be required to engage with assignments, discussion forums, groupwork, quizzes, as well as prescribed and self-directed readings throughout the year.
-Variety of Assignments: e.g. individual and group projects, live and recorded online presentations, reports, case studies
What opportunities might it lead to?
Upon successful completion of the programme, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of a number of business leadership issues
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of theoretical concepts relevant to workplace competencies
- Demonstrate broad analytical skills and propose solutions to appropriate managerial issues within an organisational environment
- Be able to exercise appropriate judgement, apply appropriate solutions to managerial activity, and implement their solution in a creative and effective manner
- Use advanced skills to apply academic concepts and experiential learning in a creative fashion to a range of business management situations and contexts
- Act under guidance while working with peers in researching management issues and proposing solutions to these issues
- Manage independent learning in variable and unfamiliar business contexts
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of application of leadership in a business environment
What our students say:
I found the course to be excellent. Its focus was broad, covering competencies from a theory perspective but also the opportunity for real life application. I enjoyed working with students from varying backgrounds and industries. Personally, it helped me learn a lot about myself through psychometric testing and feedback and has been hugely beneficial to my confidence in my role and in partnering with other leaders in my organisation.
Siobhan Ryan, HR Generalist
Whilst completing the course, an opportunity presented itself in my company to apply for a managerial position. The work completed as part of the HDip in Leadership equipped me with a vocabulary, mindset and skillset that helped me gain this promotion. I use techniques and approaches that were delivered during this course on a daily basis with my new team. I would recommend this course to anyone, irrespective of current or future roles as the skills taught are not necessarily specific to managers or leaders and will aid in everyday interactions with work colleagues.
Alan Fitzgerald, Process Automation Manager
This course has given me excellent tools which I been actively using throughout the year in my workplace to help improve team working, relationships with service users, service planning,. It has improved my self awareness and reflective practice and made me a better team member. I have gained skills in research and critical appraisal of evidence. I have a much broader view of the service I work in and the possibilities there. It has increased my confidence, enthusiasm and motivation within my working life. I would recommend it to anyone.
Fiona Monahan, Senior Paediatric Occupational Therapist
Assignments for the modules will include a combination of individual and group projects, reflective assignments, live and recorded online presentations, reports, case studies and forum based assignments. Students are tasked with linking theory to practice throughout, so a key theme in all assessments is reflection on practical application to the workplace.
- Course Fees:
- Free for eligible Springboard participants. 90% Subsidised through Springboard for eligible participants who are currently in employment.
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Registration Closing Date:
For more information and to register for this programme, click here
Alternatively please email email@example.com for further information.
- Course Commencement Date:
12 September, 2022
Duration (Number of Weeks) : 15 weeks per Semester (2 Semesters in total)
Days of Week and Times: Mondays and Thursdays (evenings)*
Saturday Dates: Attendance is required at induction and 4 Saturday workshops - dates to be confirmed on commencement of the programme
- Course Award:
- Higher Diploma
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Business & Management
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Applicants should possess an NFQ level 7 Ordinary Degree in any discipline or equivalent.
Dr Marc Cashin
Dr Marc Cashin has worked for several high profile, blue-chip multinationals and has over 25 years’ experience in technical, managerial and senior leadership roles.
Careers & Opportunities
The programme is focussed on helping aspiring, new and existing leaders to grow and develop. We have had a number of learners who have progressed to management positions in their own and other organisations:
It was a marvellous opportunity to get accepted on this Higher Diploma in Leadership course through Springboard in AIT. I was looking to go back to education on a program that I could afford, Springboard made this possible. I got promoted at work due to this course as I have shown my employer that I am developing myself. I love learning and my team and lectures were wonderful.
Mary Teresa Downey, Revenue Customs and Excise Enforcement Officer
Whilst completing the course, an opportunity presented itself in my company to apply for a managerial position. The work completed as part of the HDip in Leadership equipped me with a vocabulary, mindset and skillset that helped me gain this promotion.
Alan Fitzgerald, Process Automation Manager
Taking part in the course had a hugely positive impact on my career, skills and knowledge. Having gained an interim promotion, the course enabled me to secure a permanent promotion. The course also equipped me greatly through exposure to key areas and application of these to my own organisation and has given me the tools to transition into senior management.
Academic Manager, Private College